A Christmas thing

Share your work and face your destiny
Headshot
The Impartial

Re: A Christmas thing

Post by Headshot » Wed 5 Dec 2018 20:25

You're welcome.

Here is the arrangement B only so that you can hear clearly what I did (this is of course one possibility among others) :

sherlock wrote:
Wed 5 Dec 2018 02:07

lmao @ Vader Claus!

Raph

Post by Raph » Fri 14 Dec 2018 16:38

Funny it is, your Arrangement B suggestion inspired me so much I literally made an entire track starting with a similar idea:
Last edited by Raph on Sat 15 Dec 2018 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

Audioholic

Post by Audioholic » Sat 15 Dec 2018 00:49

Really cool thread! It’s amazing how some programming and mixing adjustments can really take a track to another level. The added parts do so much to add movement and excitement.

macaroniman

Post by macaroniman » Sun 16 Dec 2018 20:45

I really dig the string movement in the background, it both glues the piece together and creates nice motion (from your first piece posted)

Your new piece sounds pretty different. I certainly envy your ability to churn out two musically rich ideas in not much time at all.

I do however feel that your piece (the new one) is held back by an unfortunate mix. It sounds pretty dense to my ears. The bassoon at 1:27 is the biggest offender here. I often roll off low and high frequencies on the reverb to help remove some "clutter" from the sound. I'm not entirely sure if that's the issue here, but there's something about your overall sound that feels "busy" and a bit muddy to my ears.

You have some very nice musical ideas but I do miss the connection between where your Joy To The World piece started and where it ended.

I may well get lambasted for saying this, but I think you should spend some time polishing your sound. I may be biased, but I do think the final sound is important because it allows you to communicate your ideas more clearly. By the way, I don't mean to claim I'm an expert on mixing or general production.. I'm just telling you what I'm hearing!

Raph

Post by Raph » Mon 17 Dec 2018 09:09

Thanks for the feedback!

Yep, I admit there are some mixing issues ; first of all, I tried to get rid of a lot of ringing with a lot of Q-Bell pinches, but I was not able to get rid of all of them, so it's still ringing here and there... I'm not sure the reverb is the issue since there is a huge band pass before and after the reverb (moreover, the VSS3 send is added to a dry signal, and the send is at something like -9dB).

There were obviously some muddy points here and there, at first I thought it was due to some poor orchestration choices, so for example at 1:50 the two bassons were a fifth apart and it was so muddy I finally made them unison, doubling the lowest french horn instead. It was better but not perfect. So I wonder if the problem at 1:27 is not another orchestration problem, two bassoons too close together at this octave maybe? My template is not perfectly balanced, I would not be surprised if the winds were a bit overmixed though. I'll try both approach, hear which works the best :-)

The A theme comes back at 1:24, modulated. If it's not recognizable at this point, sure there is a problem on the composition side...