Handel - Water Music

Share your work and face your destiny
Adzic

Handel - Water Music

Post by Adzic » Sat 25 May 2019 19:41

Hello!

This is not my music per say, but I still would like your feedback on the programming and mix. If this is not the place, feel free to move this where it belongs.

Your fine hears will recognise SM mod, and I'm still in the process of finding the perfect way to blend them in. In this I wasn't trying to put them as far back in the orchestra than in media music, for this is supposed to be a smaller ensemble with everyone kinda close together.

Let me know what you feel should be improved!

Thanks!

FriFlo

Re: Handel - Water Music

Post by FriFlo » Mon 27 May 2019 08:06

Adzic wrote:
Sat 25 May 2019 19:41
Hello!

This is not my music per say, but I still would like your feedback on the programming and mix. If this is not the place, feel free to move this where it belongs.

Your fine hears will recognise SM mod, and I'm still in the process of finding the perfect way to blend them in. In this I wasn't trying to put them as far back in the orchestra than in media music, for this is supposed to be a smaller ensemble with everyone kinda close together.

Let me know what you feel should be improved!

Thanks!
Have been listening only on my mac mini speakers, so, I really cannot comment on anything regarding timbre, mix or low frequency. I can tell you, however, that I was very fond of the performance in the beginning! But every brass entrance really spoiled it. So, probably - I would try reworking or replacing that for a start! I think, with the trumpets and horns, I can hear the problems of the wrong timbre - even on those terrible speakers! But there surely are some performance aspects that can be done a lot better with sample modeling.

Adzic

Re: Handel - Water Music

Post by Adzic » Mon 27 May 2019 13:10

Thanks for the feedback. Indeed sample modeling is always a love/hate relationship. In order to benefit from the "anything can be played" type of deal, you have to bear a lot of sonic weirdness that comes from the effort to have them sit naturally in a 100% computer generated room, and to give a fake sense of distance to something that was recorded so close. And I find myself losing a lot of time messing with it, and it still ends up the weak link most of the time. But you're right, I haven't managed to program them in a way that sounds good performance-wise, and it could really be improved.

I have yet to find a library that can handle more complex writing that the usual "either staccato or legato or sustain" that most sampled library offer.

I wish Spitfire beautiful samples weren't spoiled with such unwieldiness.