Emulating film composers

Share your work and face your destiny
Passmore610

Emulating film composers

Post by Passmore610 » Fri 19 Feb 2021 11:34

Hi,

I've started a project (purely for practice purposes) to rescore a short logo introduction in the styles of different film composers. I'd really like some advice on the two I've done so far (Zimmer & Elfman - probably the easiest to copy the style of).

Not too sure about the muted horns in the middle of the Elfman, felt right at the time but now not so much. Are they too loud or should they be gone completely? Thanks in advance!

In case that link doesn't work:
https://soundcloud.com/user-913982413
Last edited by Passmore610 on Sat 20 Feb 2021 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

FriFlo

Re: Emulating film composers

Post by FriFlo » Fri 19 Feb 2021 11:50

Nice! I'd call it Batward with the Scissorhands. ;-) I am not sure the Simpsons quote in the end is really necessary ... it just opens another can of worms and is to literal. But maybe the beginning is also directly derived from some Elfman work - I just cannot place it anywhere directly ...

It just loosely reminds me of this (around 01:15):

https://youtu.be/zICOQzbWuT8?t=75

Passmore610

Post by Passmore610 » Fri 19 Feb 2021 11:58

FriFlo wrote: Fri 19 Feb 2021 11:50 Nice! I'd call it Batward with the Scissorhands. ;-) I am not sure the Simpsons quote in the end is really necessary ... it just opens another can of worms and is to literal. But maybe the beginning is also directly derived from some Elfman work - I just cannot place it anywhere directly ...

It just loosely reminds me of this (around 01:15):

https://youtu.be/zICOQzbWuT8?t=75

Ah excellent, as far as I know in all honesty it hasn't been copied from anything, just had the sound of high ww and arpeggiating strings in my head, plus the usual Elfman harmony tricks.

The Simpsons thing was meant to be a tiny little wink of respect (the simpsons theme is probably his best work in my opinion...), but if it's cheap/unnecessary I'll definitely remove it.

The muted horns okay then?... Does the whole thing work as it is?

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Fri 19 Feb 2021 12:25

The muted horns seem fitting to me. I think for a logo it should be somewhat longer and build a bit more to a climax, but that would of course depend on the length of the logo animation. However, if you can control it, I would do it a bit longer. The end with the celeste and the Simpons quote doesn't work for me. To much unrelated stuff thrown at me at the end. I just wonder ... why? I hope that helps.

Passmore610

Post by Passmore610 » Fri 19 Feb 2021 13:39

FriFlo wrote: Fri 19 Feb 2021 12:25 The muted horns seem fitting to me. I think for a logo it should be somewhat longer and build a bit more to a climax, but that would of course depend on the length of the logo animation. However, if you can control it, I would do it a bit longer. The end with the celeste and the Simpons quote doesn't work for me. To much unrelated stuff thrown at me at the end. I just wonder ... why? I hope that helps.
I think you're right. So just ending on that last chord better? I'm afraid the video is only about 14 seconds haha. Thanks very much for the help!

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Fri 19 Feb 2021 13:58

Passmore610 wrote: Fri 19 Feb 2021 13:39 So just ending on that last chord better?
Yes! Regarding the Zimmer version ... I am no expert, but I heard Headshot is a huge fan! Maybe he can help!?

Passmore610

Post by Passmore610 » Fri 19 Feb 2021 16:26

FriFlo wrote: Fri 19 Feb 2021 13:58
Passmore610 wrote: Fri 19 Feb 2021 13:39 So just ending on that last chord better?
Yes! Regarding the Zimmer version ... I am no expert, but I heard Headshot is a huge fan! Maybe he can help!?

Haha, I'd rather not have to do any more on that one thanks... Horns + string ostinato + percussion + BRAAAM = bingo

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Fri 19 Feb 2021 16:35

That's cool, convincing stuff

Danny Elfman : you should decrease the mid frequencies on the choirs (a lot I think) - put the trumpets at the right (the muted horns are perfect)

Hans Balfe : the final braaam sounds very narrow (mono ?), it must be wider :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g9eJRd0cXM&ab_channel=MFVmusicforvideo-CinematicProductionMusic

Passmore610

Post by Passmore610 » Sat 20 Feb 2021 01:30

Headshot wrote: Fri 19 Feb 2021 16:35 That's cool, convincing stuff

Danny Elfman : you should decrease the mid frequencies on the choirs (a lot I think) - put the trumpets at the right (the muted horns are perfect)

Hans Balfe : the final braaam sounds very narrow (mono ?), it must be wider :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g9eJRd0cXM&ab_channel=MFVmusicforvideo-CinematicProductionMusic

This is super helpful thanks, and really fascinating - I have absolutely no idea where to begin with mastering and so far this is all done with a modulation wheel & just listening. Will get digging into some YouTube tutorials.

Newman, Morricone and Horner next on the list... working my way up in terms of difficulty!

Forgot to ask sorry - what does "wider" mean and how do I do it??

*Edit - never mind! As it turns out 90% of the samples you linked are on a D (what are the chances) so I just used one of those. Thanks again

Passmore610

Post by Passmore610 » Sat 27 Feb 2021 01:35

Two more pastiches added (Newman and Horner).

https://soundcloud.com/user-913982413

They're uploaded now so I hope they're not too shabby. The Horner one was originally going to be the 80s sort of war/space ' danger theme' stuff, but I couldn't come up with the ideas to get it to work for a clip less than 20 seconds long, so I went for the Titanic/Braveheart/Beautiful Mind language instead.

In listening to both composers on repeat for the last few days, I'm not entirely sure I rate Horner that highly... really find Newman's stuff quite original and intriguing though.

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Sat 27 Feb 2021 13:29

Newman is a more subtle composer than Horner.

You imitated both idioms perfectly. The mixing of the Horner logo can be greatly improved by equalizing each instrument and choosing a more appropriate mic position in some cases because the sound is muffled, it lacks air.