Erich Wolfgang Korngold - Marietta's song

Share here little known masterpieces
Headshot
The Impartial

Erich Wolfgang Korngold - Marietta's song

Post by Headshot » Wed 26 Dec 2018 04:13

DarkestShadow wrote:
Wed 26 Dec 2018 00:49
On the "high-class feelings" pass me to an extent that I can't even comment on it... won't ever put feelings in a hierarchy (unless we're talking about morality - little to do with being excited or touched by music)
Here is some high-class emotion for you Darknoob !
dingdingdong wrote:
Mon 24 Dec 2018 10:55
By greats, I mean the guys who were also able to do something like this in between epic music gigs:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/WX1YD5sywu8?start=26

DarkestShadow

Re: Erich Wolfgang Korngold - Marietta's song

Post by DarkestShadow » Wed 26 Dec 2018 05:18

Loved the proms intro music! Distracting violinist ;) ... otherwise it passed me somehow... not sure any learning will change that perception and open the "gate".
Well, I'll deeply enjoy Debussy or Ravel any time instead. So I'm at least not fully excluded from the classical world haha.

And because no post can be without a reference to God... had they played this wonderful theme instead I would be over the moon! :)
@ 0:53 - 2:05 : viewtopic.php?f=49&t=322
Last edited by DarkestShadow on Wed 26 Dec 2018 05:28, edited 1 time in total.

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Wed 26 Dec 2018 05:55

DarkestShadow wrote:
Wed 26 Dec 2018 05:18
otherwise it passed me somehow... not sure any learning will change that perception and open the "gate".
Changing your approach will open the gate : don't seek instant gratification, this is not spa music.

Listen to it once a day for let's say, two weeks. Do it honestly with an open mind and not like a stubborn 'tard.
Because it's possible that this music just doesn't suit you but it's also quite possible that you need time to appreciate it.
Listen to it until it becomes familiar, until you are able to sing the melody.
Then, if you still don't feel anything, move on to another piece but with the same humble approach :
"I might be missing some beauty here"

Kyle Judkins

Post by Kyle Judkins » Sat 29 Dec 2018 03:32

I think one of the issues that ends up being hard to overcome is the idea of "pay off".

We live in a time where something like vine was popular... 6 second video clips became a viral form of entertainment. That's how over-stimulated people are from modern culture... I haven't seen anyone in their 20s just "sit" anywhere for any length of time without immediately whipping out a cellphone to look at something, play a phone game, check their snapchat/facebook/whatever.

There is a need for constant stimulation, and it's hard to learn to sit through something that doesn't immediately grab you because there are so many options competing(cheaper thrills).

Dating culture has gotten pretty wild in some places here in the states - i.e. "hookup culture" and contact with the other gender had almost been restricted to swiping one way on an app - having sex a few times and then never talking to each other again. Every guy is dming 6+ girls, and every girl is getting dms from 6+ guys - and they tend to just move from person to person without ever building anything lasting or meaningful.

Some of these themes make sense more in context, and the context of a story doesn't always mean leaping directly into radical emotions. Connections to what is happening must be EARNED. Part of why shows like game of thrones made sense was that you developed a strong connection with the characters before they were killed... Then you have examples like from the stars series spartacus where they kill his wife really early on but you dont really care because you only saw her for like 2 scenes anyways... but when he kills his friend you ball your little eyes out.

https://youtu.be/Jgk5Eep1cAU?t=89

it's magic moments like this - that you'll never catch if you didn't sit past the overture.

btw the above example is from the same opera that Samy posted in the OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roPSH0-_EZg

love and death. Both must be earned to be felt. This allows for some very unexpected things musically and emotionally as well...

https://youtu.be/pwDsFLV1TM8?t=170

this climax works in the opposite direction, and as the instrumentation goes away it gets even bigger - and when you can barely hear the voices it hits you the hardest. I'll literally never forget how the most emotionally devastating moment I've ever experienced in any form of cinema(film,tv,theatre) was nearly silent. Was a live performance of les mis, and gavroche crawls onto the other side of the barricade to get ammo - singing little people, and then there's a gunshot and silence. Couldn't see it happen, but you heard what happened. Genius director, genius actors, and gorgeous music.

Honestly, musical theatre - is another very awesome source of inspiration... most of it is really cliche and generic on paper(musically) - but the whole experience makes it work. I was really hoping newer film