Modern Scoring Brass

Yes, but don’t be too proud of this technological terror
Headshot
The Impartial

Re: Modern Scoring Brass

Post by Headshot » Mon 29 Apr 2019 18:07

Thanks Kyle !

The sound lacks body...I don't like it.

Cinematic Studio Brass sounds way better.

Kyle Judkins

Post by Kyle Judkins » Tue 30 Apr 2019 12:51

That seems to be the name of the game honestly - getting the low end out of it.

Shame, would really like to see what ole samy boy could do with MSB, considering it's essentially covering part of SM's territory.

The library is quite playable - even produces the same amount of demos from people riding mod wheel at 127 until it sounds like a swarm of angry bees before getting dowsed in reverb to sound like angry bees under water.

best case scenario - you combine the playability of SM, the Rich cuivre of CSB, and the middle of the road with MSB to glue it together... mod wheel at 127, and sounds just like the bees in the studio.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8y2tqwhuliorn ... x.mp3?dl=0

WHATS A MATTER, DIDNT I SHOWCASE THESE 3 LIBRARIES WELL???? ARENT YOU GOIGNG TO BUY THESE SO U SOUND LIKE JHANS WILLMELFMANGIACHINAGUO??? DO YOU THINK I SHOULD HAVE PUT MORE ALTIVERB ON MY INSTRUMENTS????????

Audioholic

Post by Audioholic » Wed 1 May 2019 02:38

Kyle Judkins wrote:
Tue 30 Apr 2019 12:51
WHATS A MATTER, DIDNT I SHOWCASE THESE 3 LIBRARIES WELL???? ARENT YOU GOIGNG TO BUY THESE SO U SOUND LIKE JHANS WILLMELFMANGIACHINAGUO??? DO YOU THINK I SHOULD HAVE PUT MORE ALTIVERB ON MY INSTRUMENTS????????
Paint me like I’m one of your French girls! Haha jk

Did you try utilizing CC 1?? Jk once again.

On a serious note, I agree with those who aren’t all that pleased with the tone. Interestingly, that has historically been a complaint with LASS as well.

My experience with LASS is that it BEHAVES well. I usually favor libraries that don’t need to be messaged to death to get a musical point across, especially when I’m in the moments of capturing an idea - I have the memory of a goldfish and if I concentrate on Sonics too much I always end up losing creative momentum. Since my main focus is writing, I tend to save any sort of ear sweetening till the end. If MSB provides that sort of utility then it would be worth it to me. It’ll be awhile before I find out for myself though.

Kyle Judkins

Post by Kyle Judkins » Wed 1 May 2019 11:47

Audioholic wrote:
Wed 1 May 2019 02:38
Kyle Judkins wrote:
Tue 30 Apr 2019 12:51
Paint me like I’m one of your French girls! Haha jk

Did you try utilizing CC 1?? Jk once again.

On a serious note, I agree with those who aren’t all that pleased with the tone. Interestingly, that has historically been a complaint with LASS as well.

My experience with LASS is that it BEHAVES well. I usually favor libraries that don’t need to be messaged to death to get a musical point across, especially when I’m in the moments of capturing an idea - I have the memory of a goldfish and if I concentrate on Sonics too much I always end up losing creative momentum. Since my main focus is writing, I tend to save any sort of ear sweetening till the end. If MSB provides that sort of utility then it would be worth it to me. It’ll be awhile before I find out for myself though.
That's the school of thought I'm kind of applying.

In the end - I'm not sure if I'll ultimately toss out sound for playability, but for me it comes at another price(atleast how my ears perceive it) And that is, I would imagine the sound would sit much nicer with the spitfire symphonic stuff sonically. Funnily enough, been listening to more Mahler lately - and my initial experience with the library seems to be re-enforced the more I go back and forth...

this library just makes me think of Mahler.

Speaking of which, anyone here very familiar with his works? I was going to try to find the music to something, but I'm very confused about which versions of the same piece. EDIT: found the droid I'm looking for - was thrown off because I heard the piece for the first time with with different instrumentation, which is why skimming through other versions I had a hard time locating it. I'll have to go digging for the score later for that section