Dunkirk' Sheet Music is Finally Out !!!

Everything or almost
Headshot
The Impartial

Dunkirk' Sheet Music is Finally Out !!!

Post by Headshot » Thu 6 Dec 2018 17:57

Le_Malin

Re: Dunkirk' Sheet Music is Finally Out !!!

Post by Le_Malin » Tue 18 Dec 2018 16:47

Mouahahaha perfect

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Tue 18 Dec 2018 21:38

Wrong! It's in 7/4 ...

Audioholic

Post by Audioholic » Tue 18 Dec 2018 22:05

FriFlo wrote:
Tue 18 Dec 2018 21:38
Wrong! It's in 7/4 ...
Are you SERIOUS!?!?

I was basing my whole mock-up off this, was prepared to learn a lot... and now I have to start all over!

Thanks for NOTHIN Headshot!

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Wed 19 Dec 2018 00:00

sherlock

Post by sherlock » Wed 19 Dec 2018 04:22

Headshot wrote:
Wed 19 Dec 2018 00:00
haha, let's be fair :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U1qqY2tEjQ
Watching this made me nauseous.

Raph

Post by Raph » Wed 19 Dec 2018 07:44

OK, maybe HZ is indeed an algorithm written by David Cope.

DarkestShadow

Post by DarkestShadow » Wed 19 Dec 2018 11:32

This video must be a joke... haha...
If he'd at least use good piano.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Wed 19 Dec 2018 11:56

sherlock wrote:
Wed 19 Dec 2018 04:22
Watching this made me nauseous.
And to be fair again ... that is what this music has been written to achieve ... :-)
Seriously, there is a whole lot of film music that sounds like shit or very boring as a piano reduction (actually, any piano coming straight out of a notion program sounds like shit, but that is yet another topic ...). Anyway, what I want to say is - I guess this is a highly "functional" score, as I would call it. I cannot comment how well it works, as the movie (unlike other Nolan films) didn't raise enough interest in me to watch it in cinema. But I can assume that something like that might very well work in such a war scenario ... so, of course this is not a great musical achievement! But I guess, there's no way around the truth, that today there are a whole lot of movies/directors/producers who don't want their scores to be very musical in our sense! That is just what our time demands and also gone are the days where the composer just writes his score and the film guys get to hear it during rehearsal ... as a film music composer you are basically someone who provides a service and executes according to demand. Actually, even directors are pretty much the producers bitches in many cases.
I find that pretty sad, but I have to face that it is reality. Of course, you can get lucky and find some exceptional jobs, where you actually have artistically freedom and are appreciated as an artist. But that really is the exception in my experience and also watching what's is the output of today's major names in the business. Therefore, my 2 cents on this topic are twofold:
1) Sometimes a movie requires a "less musical" score. Of course, that hurts me to say, but I can think of quite some films that would not work as well with a very musical score. Therefore, professionally I would not want to attack this particular score, as I can imagine it could work pretty well for the movie.
2) I suppose everyone considers HZ as the guy who can do what he wants as every of his collaborators will trust him. I don't think he really has that much freedom, but aside from that, pretty much everyone else (with some great exceptions) basically gets told what to do. It is not so much the composers in my mind who are to be blamed for that. It is what this industry works like. Basically, just a commercial endeavour without any artistic mind ...

Raph

Post by Raph » Wed 19 Dec 2018 12:41

FriFlo wrote:
Wed 19 Dec 2018 11:56
I find that pretty sad, but I have to face that it is reality. Of course, you can get lucky and find some exceptional jobs, where you actually have artistically freedom and are appreciated as an artist. But that really is the exception in my experience and also watching what's is the output of today's major names in the business. Therefore, my 2 cents on this topic are twofold:
1) Sometimes a movie requires a "less musical" score. Of course, that hurts me to say, but I can think of quite some films that would not work as well with a very musical score. Therefore, professionally I would not want to attack this particular score, as I can imagine it could work pretty well for the movie.
Artistic freedom being an exception in today's industry: true dat. Some movies working better with non musical scores: true dat.

But you can have a non-musical score for a horror movie but still make it a very interesting stuff, replicating devices from Ligeti and Penderecki and introducing lots of interesting ideas making your score worth a lot of listens. Non-musical doesn't mean poor. See also everything in the 20th century about musique concrète (or acousmatique): entirely made of noises, but sometimes mind blowing (De natura sonorum).

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Wed 19 Dec 2018 14:34

Yes this "score" is "effective" and yes it's more sound design than music.
This is not in itself anything serious.

The major problem is the way too many people perceive it :

That kind of score feeds the general mindlessness.

So, I'm not making fun of Zimmer here, but of those who adulate him (retarded directors included).

Audioholic

Post by Audioholic » Wed 19 Dec 2018 15:41

^^^ Yeah those YouTube comments make me cringe.

It’s like Carlin said:

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that."

That piano reduction is hilarious, had it blasting through the living room speakers and got to about 4 mins in before my wife finally asked “what in the FUCK are you listening too?!” Lol.

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Wed 19 Dec 2018 18:00

Audioholic wrote:
Wed 19 Dec 2018 15:41
"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that."
What a terrifying mathematical equation...lol

Best Retards

Post by Best Retards » Fri 21 Dec 2018 20:15

Headshot wrote:
Wed 19 Dec 2018 00:00
haha, let's be fair :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U1qqY2tEjQ
This is a masterpiece , minimalistic treasure that kicks Reich+Adams in the nuts,

Audioholic

Post by Audioholic » Sat 22 Dec 2018 02:57

Headshot wrote:
Wed 19 Dec 2018 18:00
Audioholic wrote:
Wed 19 Dec 2018 15:41
What a terrifying mathematical equation...lol
Indeed!