FriFlo

Morricone settles some scores ...

Post by FriFlo » Mon 25 Feb 2019 09:26

Read about the dumbing down in film music:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... ches-music

FriFlo

Re: Morricone settles some scores ...

Post by FriFlo » Mon 25 Feb 2019 11:30

I find it telling what an accomplished composer in the film industry is telling us here at the end of his career. He doesn't have to be concerned about loosing collaborators any more and can be brutally honest about everything.
It is also interesting to me that composers for films probably suffered at all times (kind of guessed that one before!).

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Tue 26 Feb 2019 14:29

Thanks FriFlo.

But I have a problem : Morricone called HZ a talented composer (mentioning also John Williams in the same sentence).

You just can't point fingers at the dumbing down of movie scoring without mentioning HZ and his factory of crap as a major actor.

So, there is for me here an inconsistency on his part.

But maybe he don't know what Remote Control is and maybe he is not aware that Zimmer is not able to play a simple tune on the piano without 4 assistants.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Tue 26 Feb 2019 21:22

I think you would not make a good politician, Sam! ;-) You just lack the ability to lie, which is what politicians do all the time ... I don't know about Morricone, he may be honest about a lot of stuff now, as there is no urgent need to bite on your tongue for certain subjects when you are retired and have achieved everything there is to achieve. But I suppose, people get used to certain things over their life and at the end of it, it might be hard to realize it is not necessary to keep up some facade. I honestly don't believe Morricone thinks HZ is a great composer. It is more political, as HZ, the "most famous composer of our time" mentioned multiple times that Morricone is one of his greatest idols in film music. Had he replied to that like "who is HZ?" he could have only lost by that.
Very successful composers are always good business men and as that they exactly know what will enhance their chances of reaching their goals and what to better not say or do. A rock star might even gain from a little cat fight scandal, a film composer will surely not. We are just to "unimportant" and "replaceable" in that film and media industry.
So, maybe you are right and Morricone does not realize what RC is, but maybe he does know but just doesn't wanna tell publicly. Have you ever heard Williams say anything bad about Zimmer? He would never do that and if asked for it, he'd probably reply in a polite way - the way Williams always talks in interviews: Kind to everyone!
Last edited by FriFlo on Wed 27 Feb 2019 01:30, edited 1 time in total.

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Tue 26 Feb 2019 22:23

You are 100% right !