Mirror Link :

PART 04 - Where it all Started
► Show Spoiler

DarkestShadow

Re: PART 04 - Where it all Started

Post by DarkestShadow » Tue 1 May 2018 16:13

@7:11 onwards...

Well, the additional music composers...
I'm sure Hans writes his own music which his scores mostly, to 95% consist of, and the additional composers are writing music additionally to the music Hans has written and maybe work on the one or the other existing cue. It can be a more effective way of working and preserving high quality if you are working in a field as busy and fast as scoring Hollywood movies. (and practical if you have them all in your studio, haha... that's why they are so many.)
The scene can change a few hours before deadline and it's clearly better to have additional composers with fresh ears and nerves to save your ass in that case.

What you seem to refer to is Ghostwriting. A whole different story than just doing the one or the other track additionally to a large body of music (by Hans).

We sure can't exactly know how much the additional writers are contributing - from thereon it's all assumptions, no matter which direction you go.
Lionel Schmitt

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Tue 1 May 2018 17:10

DarkestShadow wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 16:13
What you seem to refer to is Ghostwriting. A whole different story than just doing the one or the other track additionally to a large body of music (by Hans).

I didn't refer to ghostwriting.

An additional composer can create arrangements and also original music :

DarkestShadow

Post by DarkestShadow » Tue 1 May 2018 17:28

Headshot wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 17:10
DarkestShadow wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 16:13

I didn't refer to ghostwriting.

An additional composer can create arrangements and also original music :

It sounded like ghostwriting when the question is whether one writes his own music - or not...

In regards to the amount that "additional composers" contribute - That's where all we're left with are assumptions. Maybe they wrote half of it - maybe they just wrote a few short cues when scenes got changed very quickly and it all wen't over Hans' head a bit... Maybe they are so many because Hans has good contact to all of them (they may even all have been in his studio) and it's just a good way to keep up the quality in this busy, always changing and fast Hollywood movie business when you have other high tiers jumping as things go over your head (and pace.)
Doesn't really allow conclusions as to how much has actually been written by Hans in the end. I can assume they just wrote a few short cues and re-worked existing ones by Hans and you can assume that he wrote half of it... well... ...
Lionel Schmitt

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Tue 1 May 2018 17:34

DarkestShadow wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 17:28 In regards to the amount that "additional composers" contribute - That's where all we're left with are assumptions.
Yes, that's why my conclusion is : we should be allowed to discuss this without being called crazy, ignorant, jealous and hateful.

DarkestShadow

Post by DarkestShadow » Tue 1 May 2018 18:16

Headshot wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 17:34
DarkestShadow wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 17:28 In regards to the amount that "additional composers" contribute - That's where all we're left with are assumptions.
Yes, that's why my conclusion is : we should be allowed to discuss this without being called crazy, ignorant, jealous and hateful.
Yep, sure!
Then that was my take without these pathetic insults. :)

I'm all for arguments, haha...
Lionel Schmitt

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Tue 1 May 2018 18:34

The joys of our time.

Bishop

Post by Bishop » Tue 1 May 2018 18:38

Just speculating but I believe Hans might have employed large teams of assistants in those days to quickly realise his MIDI mockups in a more realistic way to gain a competitive edge in Hollywood. Goldsmith, Silvestri and others probably settled for a rougher sound in their MIDI demos. The term 'additional music' might cover intensive mockup work and other innovative production techniques requiring a lot of help back when sampling technology was primitive and deadlines were tight.

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Tue 1 May 2018 18:55

Bishop wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 18:38 The term 'additional music' might cover intensive mockup work and other innovative production techniques requiring a lot of help back when sampling technology was primitive and deadlines were tight.
An additional composer is precisely an additional composer, he does a creative job, not a technical one :

Suck My BRAAAM

Post by Suck My BRAAAM » Tue 1 May 2018 19:02

DarkestShadow wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 16:13 @7:11 onwards...

I'm sure Hans writes his own music which his scores mostly, to 95% consist of, and the additional composers
How can you be SURE about that? Just stop. Please keep the forum OBJECTIVE. You can't just throw random numbers (lol 95% based on what?!) to make a point. This is all speculation, you can't be sure about that.

I've seen several documentaries and interviews showing Hans "composing" on the spot. There's more than enough information around (if you don't know the right people, Google is your friend) to prove he writes nothing but the bare bones of "his" music and let the hard work to his minions. A paycheck is a paycheck. He is indeed a great SOUND DESIGNER. But expect me to believe, after all the clear evidence around, that he does his own orchestrations like the Big Band stuff and more intricate work... no, I won't buy that! Have you heard any music solely composed and orchestrated by him? Spoiler alert: not good. He uses that cheap tactic of self modesty to gain sympathy and deflect the fact he can't write on a higher level.

Check John Barry, Morricone, Horner (the last of the highly educated composers), Goldenthal and whatnot... those are TRUE composers. Hans is nothing but a glorified sound designer with a decent melodic sense. That's all. I still love some of his music. But I won't buy any of this crap spewed by ass kissers who dream about stepping on RCP. That's why I fucking respect Samy.

Bishop

Post by Bishop » Tue 1 May 2018 19:18

Headshot wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 18:55
Bishop wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 18:38 The term 'additional music' might cover intensive mockup work and other innovative production techniques requiring a lot of help back when sampling technology was primitive and deadlines were tight.
An additional composer is precisely an additional composer, he does a creative job, not a technical one :

That example is from 2010. What kind of terms would be used to describe mockup assistants in 1992 when A League of Their Own was released? The Lion King supposedly made hefty use of samples in 1994 and in the music credits I can see 'auricle programmer' which is the tempo mapping assistant. I guess 'music production assistance' could be it, or maybe in the sound department. I was just wondering.
Last edited by Bishop on Tue 1 May 2018 19:24, edited 2 times in total.

DarkestShadow

Post by DarkestShadow » Tue 1 May 2018 19:21

Suck My BRAAAM wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 19:02
DarkestShadow wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 16:13 @7:11 onwards...

I'm sure Hans writes his own music which his scores mostly, to 95% consist of, and the additional composers
How can you be SURE about that? Just stop. Please keep the forum OBJECTIVE. You can't just throw random numbers (lol 95% based on what?!) to make a point. This is all speculation, you can't be sure about that.

I've seen several documentaries and interviews showing Hans "composing" on the spot. There's more than enough information around (if you don't know the right people, Google is your friend) to prove he writes nothing but the bare bones of "his" music and let the hard work to his minions. A paycheck is a paycheck. He is indeed a great SOUND DESIGNER. But expect me to believe, after all the clear evidence around, that he does his own orchestrations like the Big Band stuff and more intricate work... no, I won't buy that! Have you heard any music solely composed and orchestrated by him? Spoiler alert: not good. He uses that cheap tactic of self modesty to gain sympathy and deflect the fact he can't write on a higher level.

Check John Barry, Morricone, Horner (the last of the highly educated composers), Goldenthal and whatnot... those are TRUE composers. Hans is nothing but a glorified sound designer with a decent melodic sense. That's all. I still love some of his music. But I won't buy any of this crap spewed by ass kissers who dream about stepping on RCP. That's why I fucking respect Samy.

"I am sure" - to me this phrasing also means "I strongly believe...". Like when you say "I'm sure she will understand your situation". That doesn't mean that you actually know that. I'm of course speculating. :)

Officially Hans wrote Interstellar without any additional composers (only orchestrators and arrangers). And this is one of my absolute favorites.
And please follow your own ideals and stay OBJECTIVE. There are no true or false composers. It's all a matter of taste. And I don't really care about musical sophistication (even though I certainly don't have a problem with it haha. My film score taste is very wide) - I mostly judge music based on the emotional response and connection I'm getting. And Hans ruined my non-existant eyeliner quite a few times. :)

Btw: (How) Can I do multi quote? I don't quite understand.
Lionel Schmitt

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Tue 1 May 2018 19:32

Bishop wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 19:18 That example is from 2010. What kind of terms would be used to describe mockup assistants in 1992 when A League of Their Own was released?
Suck My BRAAAM wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 19:02 He uses that cheap tactic of self modesty to gain sympathy and deflect the fact he can't write on a higher level.
lol

I precisely analyze this process in an upcoming video.

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Tue 1 May 2018 19:47

DarkestShadow wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 19:21 Officially Hans wrote Interstellar without any additional composers (only orchestrators and arrangers). And this is one of my absolute favorites.
The boundary between arrangement and additional music is easily crossed.
DarkestShadow wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 19:21 (only orchestrators and arrangers).

Orchestrators and arrangers contribution are underestimated.

Who should be honored here, the composer or the orchestrator/arranger ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeoT66v4EHg

Suck My BRAAAM

Post by Suck My BRAAAM » Tue 1 May 2018 20:28

DarkestShadow wrote: Tue 1 May 2018 19:21 "I am sure" - to me this phrasing also means "I strongly believe...". Like when you say "I'm sure she will understand your situation". That doesn't mean that you actually know that. I'm of course speculating. :)

Officially Hans wrote Interstellar without any additional composers (only orchestrators and arrangers). And this is one of my absolute favorites.
And please follow your own ideals and stay OBJECTIVE. There are no true or false composers. It's all a matter of taste. And I don't really care about musical sophistication (even though I certainly don't have a problem with it haha. My film score taste is very wide) - I mostly judge music based on the emotional response and connection I'm getting. And Hans ruined my non-existant eyeliner quite a few times. :)

Btw: (How) Can I do multi quote? I don't quite understand.
Interstellar had Kevin Kaska, Andrew Kinney, the Folwer brothers, Carl Rydlund, James Carlson, Chris Craker, Andrew Kawczynski and Steve Mazzaro. Stick to facts, not guess work.

1 producer, 5 orchestrators and 3 additional composers. You honestly though he wrote and orchestrated cues like Stay (that glorious ending) and Cornfield Chase all by himself? That requires skills that only years of study can provide. Browsing music forums doesn't count. The aforementioned gentlemen all have said skills, Hans doesn't. He's just lucky to be surrounded by talented people willing to suck a dick here and there. I'm looking at you, Bruce Fowler.

Go listen to Hans' first solo movies without Stanley Myers doing the dirty work, and judge by yourself. THAT is what Hans is all about. Not shitting on him, I like the aesthetics, but that's no fucking A League of Their Own.

And just for historic accuracy, he didn't use to be that nice and credit his minions, not until people started noticing and calling out his bullshit. This soundtrack was the turning point, people got tired of him claiming to have written stuff like that all by himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4ZPzwIMaO0

He is the Steve Jobs of film music. Nice vision, insane enthusiasm and all the talent in the world to back him up. :)