Gabriel Fauré - Après un Rêve

Let's Celebrate The Masters

Kyle Judkins

Re: Gabriel Fauré - Après un Rêve

Post by Kyle Judkins » Wed 18 Apr 2018 02:06

Is it strange that I feel like Faure's music is feminine? Like its a feeling I cant shake, and that's even after laughing at a thousand and one feminists shouting "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE FEMALE PERSPECTIVE ON ARCHITECTURE, ALL YOUR BRIDGES ARE THE CIS WHITE PATRIACHY"

Gorgeous stuff, something internally feels different, less relatable, foreign - about his music... And that ofcourse adds to it's charm on a personal level - that theres simply 1 ingredient that doesn't seem like it's quantifiable but just seperates him from other composers I like. This gives me an idea for a thread though!

Best Retards

Post by Best Retards » Wed 18 Apr 2018 19:05

I agree, pieces like Elegy, Sicilienne, have that "female" feeling, but maybe it's just about the approach, Fauré was one of the few that kept writing his own stuff at a time Wagner was almighty and everyone tried to copy him.
I like that.

Kyle Judkins

Post by Kyle Judkins » Wed 18 Apr 2018 20:40

Best Retards wrote:
Wed 18 Apr 2018 19:05
I agree, pieces like Elegy, Sicilienne, have that "female" feeling, but maybe it's just about the approach, Fauré was one of the few that kept writing his own stuff at a time Wagner was almighty and everyone tried to copy him.
I like that.
yeah, it just has a charm to it...

but there is definately an inherent aggression lacking in faure in contrast to someone like Wagner - and I find that is oddly satisfying as well.

Raph

Post by Raph » Wed 2 May 2018 13:32

Really like this piece, all the "Reviens" climax is outstanding. The most striking aspect of this piece to me is the contrast. You can get a lot out of it just by deciphering and playing it on the piano.

Jerry Engelbach

Post by Jerry Engelbach » Fri 4 May 2018 01:43

Lovely piece.

Faure has always sounded to me like he was jumping way ahead into the twentieth century.

Some of the Dolly Suite uses chords that fit right into mid-century jazz.

Cheers,
Jer