The Last Jedi

What Do You Think
Suck My BRAAAM

Re: The Last Jedi

Post by Suck My BRAAAM » Thu 22 Nov 2018 17:48

Headshot wrote:
Thu 22 Nov 2018 16:40
(please add an avatar, and you have a quote button in the top right corner Image)
I always wanted to ask how to do proper multi-quote here, when I select the text I want to quote and click the button it quotes the entire post, so I have to manually edit the quotes. Is there an easier way?

Suck My BRAAAM

Post by Suck My BRAAAM » Thu 22 Nov 2018 17:57

Headshot wrote:
Suck My BRAAAM wrote:
Thu 22 Nov 2018 00:10
Was ever mentioned if Johnny had assistants other than orchestrators?
Not to my knowledge.

I assume that an additional composer may be involved because what I hear here is not only uninspired but also poorly written (too repetitive in a lazy way).
I refuse to believe that Johnny is happy with this sequence (supposed to be the climax of the movie...).

I don't understand how the guy who made the trailer music could have use these clumsy bassoons without being familiar with The Last Jedi soundtrack...except if it was precisely his own idea.

The similarity can't be a coincidence.

Did Rian Johnson loved so much this repeated pattern from the trailer that he asked Williams to use it in the movie (additional recording session) ? Or did Disney send the soundtrack to the trailer composer before he began his dark work ?
Rian Johnson has worked previously with Nathan Johnson on Looper, a bold approach to modern film music (also known as poop music):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... m5xnUf74cE

They are both young and have probably been influenced by this new crap, so it wouldn't surprise me if Johnny had to adapt his work to fit the dumbed down writing of today's mainstream film music. At least his does not make me want to vomit all over my speakers.

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Thu 22 Nov 2018 19:50

Suck My BRAAAM wrote:
Thu 22 Nov 2018 17:57
They are both young and have probably been influenced by this new crap, so it wouldn't surprise me if Johnny had to adapt his work to fit the dumbed down writing of today's mainstream film music.
I had the same thought last year when I heard Leia's theme played on the piano (in a "trailerish" way) at the beginning of the flying sequence.

Suck My BRAAAM wrote:
Thu 22 Nov 2018 17:48
i always wanted to ask how to do proper multi-quote here
I'll check that.

modiel

Post by modiel » Thu 22 Nov 2018 20:39

Headshot wrote:
(please add an avatar, and you have a quote button in the top right corner )
Noted ! Thanks ! And I'll add an Avatar too later today.
Headshot wrote:
I don't understand how the guy who made the trailer music could have use these clumsy bassoons without being familiar with The Last Jedi soundtrack...except if it was precisely his own idea.
I know the guys who made the music on this trailer (Trailer Rebel Music). They got the placement through Cavalry Music ( a company specialized in custom trailer music). Since I regularly work for Cavalry I can imagine pretty well how it happened.

The trailer house house at Disney ( they have a in house trailer house) usually has a very good idea of the musical direction they want while they prepare the video montage. Since they are Disney they already have access to the soundtrack and regularly send some extracts with the brief, saying "could you use this line" or "could you use this theme because we love it.." You can be sure that's what happened here.
So yeah they receive some extracts of the soundtrack, it regularly happens

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Thu 22 Nov 2018 21:01

Mystery solved, thanks a lot. (nice avatar)

If you know the guy well, please tell him that this music is one of the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

lol

I really like this version (only 1,230,040 views) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWOevmb4noY

There are three layers :

1_it started with an awful (to my ears) piece composed by Williams
2_then we have been privileged to hear a dumbed down version for the trailer
3_and above, a poorly programmed/arranged version of the dumbed down version

Amazing.

Suck My BRAAAM

Post by Suck My BRAAAM » Thu 22 Nov 2018 22:20

modiel wrote:
Thu 22 Nov 2018 20:39

I know the guys who made the music on this trailer (Trailer Rebel Music). They got the placement through Cavalry Music ( a company specialized in custom trailer music). Since I regularly work for Cavalry I can imagine pretty well how it happened.

The trailer house house at Disney ( they have a in house trailer house) usually has a very good idea of the musical direction they want while they prepare the video montage. Since they are Disney they already have access to the soundtrack and regularly send some extracts with the brief, saying "could you use this line" or "could you use this theme because we love it.." You can be sure that's what happened here.
So yeah they receive some extracts of the soundtrack, it regularly happens
I know you and your friends have bills to pay but have you ever talked about how this sort of music is a piece of garbage? Do creators at least recognize their creation as garbage? I know that's subjective but you cannot be oblivious to the fact that you are all contributing to the ruin of film music. Kids these days look at trailer/media composers as rockstars! Maybe it's the illusion of making a quick buck and having your poop playing on top of poopy super-hero images, dunno. And when you ask them have you ever heard Morricone? Herrmann? Korngold? williams? Goldsmith? Horner? they might happen to know this version of my heart will go on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2WH8mHJnhM

No shame in being a sell-out, I understand that and have sucked my share of dicks in this lifetime. I'm just curious if you guys are at least aware of the issue (or even acknowledge it as an issue) and talk about it between yourselves? Have you ever talked about going on a strike until companies stop briefing crap?

Not trying to be a dick or anything, I actually didn't want to kill myself with the demos you did for Afflatus :-) yes, this is a compliment lol

Suck My BRAAAM

Post by Suck My BRAAAM » Thu 22 Nov 2018 22:27

Headshot wrote:
Thu 22 Nov 2018 21:01
If you know the guy well, please tell him that this music is one of the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

lol
hahahaha you beat me to it!

Headshot wrote:

There are three layers :

Amazing.
I prefer this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDKUpulU--Q

No really, I prefer THIS one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff0QZ9-YM4E

Fucking genius! I can't believe this only has 30k views and haven't gone viral after 3 years.
I legit cry a little every time I watch it. And yes, CALL ME A PROUD FANBOY!

sherlock

Post by sherlock » Thu 22 Nov 2018 22:54

Headshot's trailer is not bad but there are some weird artefacts and phasing issues for the brass around the 1.45 mark....

I think this sounds much better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRpPp0RCh-4

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Fri 23 Nov 2018 00:58

Suck My BRAAAM wrote:
Thu 22 Nov 2018 22:20
I'm just curious if you guys are at least aware of the issue (or even acknowledge it as an issue) and talk about it between yourselves?
I always wondered... I think it depends, in part, on the age :
► Show Spoiler
Suck My BRAAAM wrote:
Thu 22 Nov 2018 22:27
Fucking genius! I can't believe this only has 30k views and haven't gone viral after 3 years.
I legit cry a little every time
Suck My BRAAAM wrote:
Thu 22 Nov 2018 22:20
Kids these days look at trailer/media composers as rockstars! Maybe it's the illusion of making a quick buck and having your poop playing on top of poopy super-hero images, dunno. And when you ask them have you ever heard Morricone? Herrmann? Korngold? williams? Goldsmith? Horner? they might happen to know this version of my heart will go on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2WH8mHJnhM
lol

Like you said in another topic : Cold Hard Truth here

Arko

Post by Arko » Fri 23 Nov 2018 08:25

Headshot wrote:

There are three layers :

Amazing.
My ears... My soul...
French indie game developer

Audioholic

Post by Audioholic » Fri 23 Nov 2018 17:26

sherlock wrote:
Thu 22 Nov 2018 22:54
Headshot's trailer is not bad but there are some weird artefacts and phasing issues for the brass around the 1.45 mark....

I think this sounds much better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRpPp0RCh-4
Stellar! Such a wide and deep 3D mix, it’s like you could just step right into it! Wonder what the brass samples are? Haha