WIN TEN DOLLARS ! REAL ! NO FAKE ! INCREDIBLE ! City Of Malice - Nick Phoenix

From Midi To Reality
DarkestShadow

Re: WIN TEN DOLLARS ! REAL ! NO FAKE ! INCREDIBLE ! City Of Malice - Nick Phoenix

Post by DarkestShadow » Sun 1 Jul 2018 08:38

There ya go! :D
Post has soundcloud links.

Headshot
The Impartial

Re: WIN TEN DOLLARS ! REAL ! NO FAKE ! INCREDIBLE ! City Of Malice - Nick Phoenix

Post by Headshot » Sun 1 Jul 2018 09:08

Thanks.
DarkestShadow wrote:
Sat 30 Jun 2018 19:38
And a little one from 50 seconds.
It fits the original version while your version of City of Malice doesn't, not only regarding the pitch fluctuation but also the attack (maybe you should try staccato or short marcato patches).

And after listening to the excerpt above, I don't think for one second that these trumpets have been corrected.

DarkestShadow

Post by DarkestShadow » Sun 1 Jul 2018 09:38

I'm using the 2 trumpets patches. There actually aren't short marcato patches and I am using the staccato patches (4 round robin and 8 round robin). Even though I'll look further, also in terms of layering (there are other trumpet sections and patches).
I also only have the Gold version. Maybe there is more in Diamond. Mic positions could change the perceived attack too.

Hm, might be more reasonable that Thomas might have been asked to help out with the trumpets. Hi samples sound more imperfect and there might have also been some trumpet stacs with softer attack.
Nick might have been somewhat unhappy with the trumpet stacs.

Although, there are other tracks where that would've been much more necessary and effective.
BUT, the same can be said about real recordings! I still find it unbelievable that they paid for 2 full orchestras but then only recorded a few slow staccato notes with the trumpet section. And then buried behind all sorts of sampled instruments - for a rather simple trailerish track.

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Sun 1 Jul 2018 13:00

DarkestShadow wrote:
Sun 1 Jul 2018 09:38
I still find it unbelievable that they paid for 2 full orchestras but then only recorded a few slow staccato notes with the trumpet section.
Yes if the ablum was considered as a whole (if all the tracks present in the album had already been planned since the very beginning), no if some tracks come from different eras and have been created in different contexts.
DarkestShadow wrote:
I still find it unbelievable that they paid for 2 full orchestras but then only recorded a few slow staccato notes with the trumpet section.
I assumed that Nick could have recorded this short sequence during a Quantum Leap recording session (without altering the schedule).
DarkestShadow wrote:
I also only have the Gold version. Maybe there is more in Diamond. Mic positions could change the perceived attack too.
No doubt that the Platinum version could make the difference.

DarkestShadow wrote:
Sun 1 Jul 2018 12:43

Closer I think.
Yes. In the original version the microphone position is more distant.

DarkestShadow

Post by DarkestShadow » Sun 1 Jul 2018 13:22

Ah, yea. It's Platinum, not Gold. Diamond is for the Hollywood Series...

And yea, there could be sequences recorded at another time.
I just took City Of Malice as an example that cited when I wondered why only (some of) Thomas' tracks should be recorded live... now we would then still at this point. It seems unlikely that any of Nick's tracks or passages have been recorded as part of "the project" - Volume One and their supposed full orchestral recordings.

Well, well... quite a mystery all that... Neither Nick nor Thomas have seen my question about the orchestras as of yet. It's via Facebook, so I can see whether someone read the message.

macaroniman

Post by macaroniman » Sat 6 Jul 2019 00:54

The Solo Trumpet Staccatisimo patch in HWB Diamond on the vintage mic comes fairly close, I think, though the length isn't quite right.