11%

Total votes: 9

DarkestShadow

Re: Who Wrote Discombobulate ?

Post by DarkestShadow » Fri 18 May 2018 14:51

Best Retards wrote:
Thu 17 May 2018 20:27
I won't prove anything here, it's just what I think for decades about Zimmer :
everytime I hear an interesting track from him, I'm always suspicious about Hans being the composer of it.
Because .... he wrote Broken Arrow and Miss Daisy, and when I hear these scores, I find the bar so low, it's hard for me to accept he could do better.
But I have no clue that's just my 2 cents.
So when Headshot shows some facts about "I wrote it, hmmm i didn't finally, oh wait I did but, blabla, it explains a lot to me.
Since I heard League of their Own, my first reaction was : 100% sure he couldn't achieve that, even in his next life, alone and I guess I'm not far from reality.
- Those 2 scores are rather old - I'm more a fan of a bunch of his (or nots hi, haha) tracks from 2003 onwards...
He might have also been rather uninspired, or in a rush with these scores...

- Being or not being the composer of it is maybe a bit harsh. It could for example be that he came up with the basic melody and development but the arrangement and orchestration was (even very significantly) altered by his team.
In that sense, he came up with the idea for the track but it was realized and refined by others. Basically - the track would not exist without him and not be as refined and captivating without his team. That might be going on several times...

One example (even though it's musically very close to the final version) could be one of my favorites, Science and Religion.
Here is a demo of the main section (nothing official here, leaked from somewhere) - which strongly suggests he wrote it... at least the main section.
significant part starts @1:47 in. (God Save Us was the name it had before going on the official album as Science and Religion)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRfWgPgZpWw

It's still much rougher than the final version***, (@2:14 - 2:22 ugh...) but by and large the notes are the same (a few funny bits and missing notes) - most of the difference is the mix and the sound of the instruments (mediocre samples and homogenized mix).
The solo violin might have just been left out because the samples weren't good enough for this and Hans wanted to just hear Joshua Bell over it straight away.
It could be a rather early demo though because there are a few technically and musically pretty broken parts (the ending and the very beginning) - so he might have even done the entire orchestration and arrangement as it is.
But even assuming he didn't - it would just exemplify what I mean with HZ generally having the ideas and creating the concept of the track and a lot (or in this case most) of the arrangement and then the work of his team kicks in.
I wouldn't always ask whether he wrote it or not. That can be a bit to simple... (Whether you like the present track or not - just in general.)

Final Version with Live musicians. Part from demo @5:15
https://youtu.be/RdyeOJTpGlA?t=288

sherlock

Post by sherlock » Tue 22 May 2018 09:18

It can't be easy being Lorne Balfe.

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Wed 23 May 2018 20:27

Guizmox

Post by Guizmox » Thu 24 May 2018 11:47

Don't forget about "The Rock"

Composed by Nick Glennie-Smith with the help of Hans Zimmer (Main Theme), and Harry Gregson-Williams

People remembered that score as an HZ one.

Wilhelm.

sherlock

Post by sherlock » Sun 3 Jun 2018 04:10

Notice how HZ doesn't directly answer the question.

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Sun 3 Jun 2018 04:52

sherlock wrote:
Sun 3 Jun 2018 04:10
Notice how HZ doesn't directly answer the question.
When Hans doesn't claim : "Hey...I wrote it" you can be sure that he heard this music for the first time in his life.

And the same guys who want to be certain that their idol is the main composer would answer : "who cares ?" the day you present the proof that he did nothing (or almost).

sherlock

Post by sherlock » Sun 3 Jun 2018 05:34

Headshot wrote:
Sun 3 Jun 2018 04:52
When Hans doesn't claim : "Hey...I wrote it" you can be sure that he heard this music for the first time in his life.
Ahahaha, I hadn't thought of that. It must have hurt his ego being told how amazing it was when it wasn't written by him.

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Sun 3 Jun 2018 05:59

sherlock wrote:
Sun 3 Jun 2018 05:34
It must have hurt his ego being told how amazing it was when it wasn't written by him.

I think his ego is often affected that way...and to no longer suffer, he convinces himself that he is always the "main creator".

Concerning this commercial :
Hans Zimmer is a label, so I guess he was contacted by Volvo for this reason. That's why, even though that music may be composed by Lorne, showcasing his name as the composer was not an option.

DarkestShadow

Post by DarkestShadow » Sun 3 Jun 2018 09:05

I think he answered the question -
"or was it a collaboration...?"
HZ: "We love working together".

And he further also gives Lorne credit for his input on many other scores then, btw...

I mean, yea he didn't say "yes", but it's still pretty much the same meaning IMO.
You: "Great! Did you build this?"
Me: "I love building things!"

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Sun 3 Jun 2018 17:05

This way of crediting Lorne is an information that Hans gave to Hybrid knowing that it may be published somewhere on the forum.

In my opinion, it's just a clever way to disguise ghostwriting.

When Hans claim to have written/orchestrated something alone you can assume that it's false...and when he mentions a collaboration with another composer you can assume that he did nothing.

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Fri 23 Nov 2018 20:40

DarkestShadow wrote:
Thu 17 May 2018 16:26
Now I'm even more interested to ask Lorne Balfe what happens here. He might come up with a lie, but maybe there is a reasonable explanation.
His answer will never change what I think about that matter but did he answer you ?

Just curious.

DarkestShadow

Post by DarkestShadow » Fri 23 Nov 2018 20:59

Headshot wrote:
Fri 23 Nov 2018 20:40
DarkestShadow wrote:
Thu 17 May 2018 16:26
Now I'm even more interested to ask Lorne Balfe what happens here. He might come up with a lie, but maybe there is a reasonable explanation.
His answer will never change what I think about that matter but did he answer you ?

Just curious.
I never asked thus far... but I might - will post then haha...

Samir

Post by Samir » Tue 9 Jul 2019 11:32

I think the main problem with Zimmer is that he considers himself as a composer, while he's more like a producer.

Audioholic

Post by Audioholic » Wed 17 Jul 2019 19:13

Samir wrote:
Tue 9 Jul 2019 11:32
I think the main problem with Zimmer is that he considers himself as a composer, while he's more like a producer.
That wouldn’t be a problem so much, if the people paying and worshiping him didn’t consider him a composer too lol.