Post by Headshot » Sat 9 Jun 2018 02:05

Attachments
Dogs Of War Horns.rar
Midi File
(807 Bytes) Downloaded 61 times

Audioholic

Re: Dogs of War (Horns) - Christopher Lennertz

Post by Audioholic » Sat 9 Jun 2018 21:32

Ah, of course, Medal of Honor! I hadn't heard that in awhile. Thanks for providing the midi. I'm really excited for this section of the forum.

Adzic

Post by Adzic » Wed 3 Oct 2018 10:20

Hi there! Here is my first post:
my attempt at using that track to try and coax some nobility out of SM brass:

https://soundcloud.com/user-36400957/te ... or/s-IPvfO

If there is a better suited place for this, feel free to move it over there.

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Wed 3 Oct 2018 13:31

Nice (and great avatar).

It's too close and the stereo image is too wide.
You should try to simulate the stage microphones by putting the trumpet section in the background.

The first part is my attempt with SM trumpets, the second part is the real orchestra :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kvrAwmo1D4

Adzic

Post by Adzic » Wed 3 Oct 2018 14:15

Thanks for the feedback, and yours is obviously a couple step ahead.

I'm struggling with the stereo imaging indeed, since in this one I'm using altiverb's virtual stage function to get the ER, and then another instance to try and put that further back.
The problem being that Altiverb has this obnoxious tendency to clutter the stereo field right away. I've tried to reduce the stereo imaging after either instance a couple different ways, but doing in that you're actually squashing down a virtual room, and it starts to sound weird right away, aside from accentuating the unpleasant harmonics there is in SM (I'm still on the old version without the harmonics control function).

But I can't seem to reach the same degree of realism with regular algorithmics reverb, so...

fhrw

Post by fhrw » Mon 1 Apr 2019 00:12

Hey Team,

I've been tinkering again with this. Had some more luck I think but still doesn't sound quite right. Any tips?

I was previously using breeze but this was just with convolution within kontakt.

Love to hear your thoughts!

FHRW

EDIT: Listening back later, it sounds like I've overcooked my EQ. Doesn't sound rich enough, particularly the trumpets. Mobile phone effect. Could be to do with the close signal I have blended in?

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Mon 1 Apr 2019 17:03

fhrw wrote:
Mon 1 Apr 2019 00:12
Hey Team,

I've been tinkering again with this. Had some more luck I think but still doesn't sound quite right. Any tips?

I was previously using breeze but this was just with convolution within kontakt.

Love to hear your thoughts!

FHRW

EDIT: Listening back later, it sounds like I've overcooked my EQ. Doesn't sound rich enough, particularly the trumpets. Mobile phone effect. Could be to do with the close signal I have blended in?
Hi there!

If you really want next gen brass with full dry/wet control you need to look no further ...

Next Gen Brass