Sankt Georg

Share your work and face your destiny
FriFlo

Sankt Georg

Post by FriFlo » Mon 11 Mar 2019 12:56

I made the music for this several years ago, but I recently saw that it has been publicly uploaded, so, here we go ...

https://vimeo.com/299638764

It was very low budget, so I couldn't afford to put to much time into it. That is why it is very simple, sketchy without intricate midi programming and has no musical complexity or detailed orchestration. Anyway, I still enjoy the emotion triggered and the whole setting, so ... enjoy!

raphael.badawi

Re: Sankt Georg

Post by raphael.badawi » Tue 12 Mar 2019 13:16

I like the theme at the beginning and ending. Not a lot to say about the rest, it sure does the job and remains discreet.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Tue 12 Mar 2019 14:27

Thanks, Raphael. You are right. As I said: I had a minimal budget for the music AND the sound design. If you have ever done sound design, you probably know how time consuming it is, especially, if you do not do it on a frequent basis ... I would usually decline that kind of money for doing both, but it was kind of a friendship thing.
So, for the opening, I tried to come up with something unique, but as soon as I realized how much work the sound design would be, I needed to get the music done quickly. That is why I said, it is pretty sketchy. And due to client wishes, I even had to strip down the music for some parts. From what I know, the film is running at the exhibition in Switzerland with just the sound design without any music ... I think that is wrong though, as the music - as bare as it is - does an important job of carrying the emotion. And that part does work IMO.
Aren't you in from Switzerland? Maybe you can tell me, how they present the film for me some day! ;-)
I think we are the only two guys participating here for several days ... :-(

raphael.badawi

Post by raphael.badawi » Tue 12 Mar 2019 15:40

Nope, I'm a french guy ;-) Agreed on the sound design side, I went through one sound design job once and promised myself never going through that kind of job again.

Yep, I see what you mean by the emotion-carrier. Even a double bass alone can do a lot to shed a dark mood. But you seem to be very proficient, determining upfront what you want and what you don't. For my part, I'm still in this additive urge, wasting some (precious) time to remove a lot of unnecessary parts and never able to clean all the mess.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Tue 12 Mar 2019 20:36

raphael.badawi wrote:
Tue 12 Mar 2019 15:40
Nope, I'm a french guy ;-)
Alright! I don't know where I came up with that ... must have confused you with someone else who wrote something like that.

Sound design is actually very interesting. I just suck at it, because I only had some very little practice at the film school I studied and never did it again. But I really think it is great fun and you can also learn a lot from it for making music (and vice versa).
It can also teach you, where overwriting is a problem ... ;-)

Strickland

Post by Strickland » Thu 14 Mar 2019 09:31

Congrats FriFlo for both music AND sound design !

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Thu 14 Mar 2019 21:31

Strickland wrote:
Thu 14 Mar 2019 09:31
Congrats FriFlo for both music AND sound design !
Thanks, Mathieu!

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Mon 25 Mar 2019 08:48

I enjoyed it, the job is well done.

(and dare to tell the story of a holy knight who saves a princess is very brave nowadays lol)

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Mon 25 Mar 2019 18:53

Headshot wrote:
Mon 25 Mar 2019 08:48
I enjoyed it, the job is well done.
Thanks, Samy!
Headshot wrote:
Mon 25 Mar 2019 08:48
(and dare to tell the story of a holy knight who saves a princess is very brave nowadays lol)
If Rian Johnson would make a movie about it, I guess he would change the story a little and the maid would save St. Georg from destroying the kingdom with to his machoism ...

And actually it is not only Rian Johnson ...
In 2014 I composed for this teaser (the movie is probably going to be released in 2020 - not with my music ...). The original book is about the little hedgehog (boy) Latte - in the movie (and the trailer) Latte is a girl, though. Well, you almost don't even notice in the trailer (except for the word "princess"), as children are often voice acted by women (e.g. Bart Simpson).
https://vimeo.com/121979400

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Wed 27 Mar 2019 08:26

FriFlo wrote:
Mon 25 Mar 2019 18:53
If Rian Johnson would make a movie about it, I guess he would change the story a little and the maid would save St. Georg from destroying the kingdom with to his machoism ...
haha ! and whoever would complain about that will be called sexist !
FriFlo wrote:
And actually it is not only Rian Johnson ...
Yes, it's a general trend now.
FriFlo wrote:
In 2014 I composed for this teaser (the movie is probably going to be released in 2020 - not with my music ...). The original book is about the little hedgehog (boy) Latte - in the movie (and the trailer) Latte is a girl, though. Well, you almost don't even notice in the trailer (except for the word "princess"), as children are often voice acted by women (e.g. Bart Simpson).
https://vimeo.com/121979400
Excellent scoring ! Why did they choose another composer for the movie ?

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Wed 27 Mar 2019 19:49

Headshot wrote:
Wed 27 Mar 2019 08:26
Excellent scoring ! Why did they choose another composer for the movie ?
Thanks! Well, I was never promised that I would do the movie in case I did the trailer well. In my nativity I did this trailer in 2014 for free (I could have gotten a few bucks, but I decided to spend that on the recording) in the hope I would get a shot at the movie, if they liked my scoring. I certainly wouldn't do that anymore, now.
Turns out to be more political how these decisions are often made, though. I asked, if they would consider me, but the reply was, they liked what I did, but they would not receive any film funding from Bavaria, where I am located, so they will use someone else for that reason.
It could just as well be an excuse - I will never know ... it is not available online, but I heard from someone, he had seen a more recent trailer for this film and - next to a visual makeover - they used pop music for this new trailer. Seems pretty much the trend for animation movies these days! Especially - but not limited to that - for trailers.
I am not sure, if they have set anyone up for the job, yet. Anyway, there might still be a little chance of them suddenly realizing I did a good job. But it doesn't look like that from what I know.

raphael.badawi

Post by raphael.badawi » Thu 28 Mar 2019 16:23

Please guys don't mistake criticism for censorship. What you're referring to is criticism, not censorship. It doesn't imply to be "brave" to subject oneself to "criticism". It just implies to understand on what ground this criticism originates, and from that, if you care or not. It's the very essence of freedom of speech, according to John Perry Barlow. I'm very happy to see my nieces relying to other models than princesses. Not that princesses are bad. It would be stupid to state this. But it was just really bad to have only this kind of character for little girls to identify with. (This is where we can out-criticize the original criticism while still grounding on facts, like this exhaustive counting about women representation in movies since the 80s )

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Thu 28 Mar 2019 19:21

raphael.badawi wrote:
Thu 28 Mar 2019 16:23
I'm very happy to see my nieces relying to other models than princesses. Not that princesses are bad. It would be stupid to state this. But it was just really bad to have only this kind of character for little girls to identify with.
Strong female characters (other than princesses) is not a new revolutionary concept.
There are a lot of strong women in old movies, series and anime :

From my childhood I've always seen strong women in movies, series and video games, and I've never even thought about it, it was natural.

People tend to create false problems and kick down open doors.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Thu 28 Mar 2019 21:11

No problem, Rafael! I am not about showing women and girls in stereotype roles at all. I therefore do like it, if a book, a movie or any new media is introducing us to a strong female character. I can actually think of several from my own childhood, including Momo (a children’s book by Michael Ende, who also wrote the never ending story). There is Pipi Langstrumpf by Astrid Lindgren and the list goes on. Actually, the male characters from my childhood might be more often suffering from cliches ...
I just do not like a deliberate attempt to squeeze the idea of equality and destruction of gender roles in everything without much thought. In this case, it is a Little hedgehog, so, frankly, I don’t really care a lot. It is ok for that hedgehog to be a girl and I do not mind showing a wild little girl climbing trees and what not ... Quite the opposite: I think it is great when they show girls, they can also be a bit wild and climb trees. :-) They should also show some boys that they do not have to be very wild and could become composers sitting at a computer all day long! ;-)
The only question here is, were they adapting a novel and changed the character, because it is kind of fashionable at the time. It is non of my business, though, as only the author of the book has a right to complain about it and maybe he is completely fine with it.
The only thing I really don’t like is a current trend to try to make everything about equal rights in movies, while those people in power in the business have completely different motives. It does not look sincere to me ... I rather think they are all jumping on a fashionable train!

raphael.badawi

Post by raphael.badawi » Fri 29 Mar 2019 05:48

Headshot wrote:
Thu 28 Mar 2019 19:21
Strong female characters (other than princesses) is not a new revolutionary concept.
There are a lot of strong women in old movies, series and anime :
No disagreement here since the study I quoted is statistical (i. e. it's a numerical account of female characters and lines since 1980), showing how strong women are underrepresented (five times less than strong men), how women have 30% of all dialogue lines, etc. So there is no denial in the existence of other types of characters. It is just evidence of overrepresentation of certain types of characters. (Which also concerns men, since one can suffer from being not "masculine" enough according to overrepresented clichés.)