John Powell's Mix With The Masters

and nothing
sherlock

John Powell's Mix With The Masters

Post by sherlock » Fri 20 Dec 2019 09:20

Thought I'd share this if anyone is interested. It's free btw ;)

https://mixwiththemasters.com/itt31

Audioholic

Re: John Powell's Mix With The Masters

Post by Audioholic » Fri 20 Dec 2019 14:20

Thanks!!!

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Fri 20 Dec 2019 22:08

sherlock wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019 09:20

What do you mean, it's free? You gotta pay $319 to become a pro member for a year in order to watch it ... did I miss something?

DarkestShadow

Post by DarkestShadow » Fri 20 Dec 2019 22:20

FriFlo wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019 22:08
sherlock wrote:

What do you mean, it's free? You gotta pay $319 to become a pro member for a year in order to watch it ... did I miss something?
No, all free content can be viewed with a free account. After a quick signing up it can be watched. Did it a few hours ago (signing up and a quick check if it works and the videos are accessible)

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Fri 20 Dec 2019 22:30

Thanks Junior!

Audioholic

Post by Audioholic » Fri 20 Dec 2019 23:40

DarkestShadow wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019 22:20
FriFlo wrote:
sherlock wrote:

No, all free content can be viewed with a free account. After a quick signing up it can be watched. Did it a few hours ago (signing up and a quick check if it works and the videos are accessible)
Did you like it? Should be better than the HZ one. Haven’t seen Elfmans.

Audioholic

Post by Audioholic » Mon 23 Dec 2019 00:35

Audioholic wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019 23:40
DarkestShadow wrote:
FriFlo wrote:

Watched it yesterday. It was ok, and was worth what it cost.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Mon 23 Dec 2019 15:52

Yeah, it was interesting, but also not really a "Masterclass". In this case, they call it "Mix with the Masters" which is better and less pretentious then "Masterclass". It seems to be a cut down version of John Powell just improvising on the spot. There are some very interesting things, which is why I am happy to have listened through (especially in part 4!), but I also would not pay for a video like that. You cannot learn a lot form that video, but it is certainly enlightening to hear his opinion. He mentioned that most composers in Hollywood do not actually care to write music ... he doesn't mention Zimmer, of course ... but then again, gets most music in Hollywood written?

DarkestShadow

Post by DarkestShadow » Thu 26 Dec 2019 11:47

Audioholic wrote:
Fri 20 Dec 2019 23:40
DarkestShadow wrote:
FriFlo wrote:

I'm just at part 2... one thing I learnt for sure is: I WILL NEVER SCORE A DAMN MOVIE, HOLY DAMN! :o

Audioholic

Post by Audioholic » Thu 26 Dec 2019 18:15

DarkestShadow wrote:
Thu 26 Dec 2019 11:47
I'm just at part 2... one thing I learnt for sure is: I WILL NEVER SCORE A DAMN MOVIE, HOLY DAMN! :o
After hearing your music, I’d wholeheartedly agree!!

JUST KIDDING!

On a serious note, why not? I also wouldn’t necessarily want to myself...unless I also wrote and directed it lol...

The whole process of dealing with music by committee - to that extreme extent - would make me lose my mind and probability creative spirit. (Talking strictly of Hollywood bullshit).

DarkestShadow

Post by DarkestShadow » Thu 26 Dec 2019 18:40

Audioholic wrote:
Thu 26 Dec 2019 18:15
DarkestShadow wrote:

JUST KIDDING!

On a serious note, why not? I also wouldn’t necessarily want to myself...unless I also wrote and directed it lol...

The whole process of dealing with music by committee - to that extreme extent - would make me lose my mind and probability creative spirit. (Talking strictly of Hollywood bullshit).
Well, exactly because of the limitations you seem to mention at the end. There is just too much third party control over my music. Of course there will be revisions in most music areas, that's why I say "too much". Some changes are normal, but with movies you may literally have to change a whole 4 minutes piece within a day because the edit changed LOL.

It certainly will depend on the project but I just can't be bothered to find out and potentially waste everyone's time, including mine, by just dropping out somewhere mid-way.

I've been in the trial phase for a custom scoring house who provided music for ads and trailers. After the second "job" I quit because after just a few minutes of this kind of "customized to picture" work I was already sick of it. For the second one there also was already a changed edit. So everything I had written didn't work anymore.

And that for a project with over 80 + minutes runtime? Suicide haha. And John Powell essentially described my nightmare job with his work on HTTYD. And that just for one scene.

Audioholic

Post by Audioholic » Sat 28 Dec 2019 15:26

DarkestShadow wrote:
Thu 26 Dec 2019 18:40
Audioholic wrote:
Thu 26 Dec 2019 18:15
DarkestShadow wrote:

JUST KIDDING!

Well, exactly because of the limitations you seem to mention at the end. There is just too much third party control over my music. Of course there will be revisions in most music areas, that's why I say "too much". Some changes are normal, but with movies you may literally have to change a whole 4 minutes piece within a day because the edit changed LOL.

It certainly will depend on the project but I just can't be bothered to find out and potentially waste everyone's time, including mine, by just dropping out somewhere mid-way.

I've been in the trial phase for a custom scoring house who provided music for ads and trailers. After the second "job" I quit because after just a few minutes of this kind of "customized to picture" work I was already sick of it. For the second one there also was already a changed edit. So everything I had written didn't work anymore.

And that for a project with over 80 + minutes runtime? Suicide haha. And John Powell essentially described my nightmare job with his work on HTTYD. And that just for one scene.

Not even for one MILLION dollars?!

DarkestShadow

Post by DarkestShadow » Mon 30 Dec 2019 22:32

Audioholic wrote:
Sat 28 Dec 2019 15:26

If a million dollar can bring me back to life if I kill myself haha... otherwise - NOPE.

Audioholic

Post by Audioholic » Tue 31 Dec 2019 01:23

DarkestShadow wrote:
Mon 30 Dec 2019 22:32
Audioholic wrote:
Sat 28 Dec 2019 15:26

If a million dollar can bring me back to life if I kill myself haha... otherwise - NOPE.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FONN-0uoTHI%200uoTHI