Black Mirror - Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes 2020

and nothing

FriFlo

Re: Black Mirror - Ricky Gervais at the Golden Globes 2020

Post by FriFlo » Wed 15 Jan 2020 13:18

Yeah, that Ricky Gervais monologue was fucking brilliant! And thanks for making me aware of that movie - looks like it could hit a similar vein as my favourite movie of the decade - Parasite.

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Wed 15 Jan 2020 15:49

Black Mirror is a TV show, a great one.

I wanted to highlight the fact that, although Ricky Gervais speech was amazing, it's still part of the system : allowed and promoted by the system (watch the episode "Fifteen Million Merits" and don't watch the video I posted above : SPOILERS).

Parasite was fun ! (I hated the ending).

Audioholic

Post by Audioholic » Wed 15 Jan 2020 17:22

Headshot wrote:
Wed 15 Jan 2020 15:49

I wanted to highlight the fact that, although Ricky Gervais speech was amazing, it's still part of the system : allowed and promoted by the system (watch the episode "Fifteen Million Merits" and don't watch the video I posted above : SPOILERS).

Parasite was fun ! (I hated the ending).
Exactly! I’m not familiar with Black Mirror, I’ll have to see if it’s available here (watched the clip and it seems interesting). BUT while it was fun to see Ricky take the piss out of those Hollywood assholes, he was 100% allowed to do this by the gatekeepers...as if to throw a bone to us common folk. It’s all calculated smoke and mirror bullshit.

Also, in that clip the guy said at the end that he would probably compromise his morals if in the same situation...but I have always prided myself on not comprising mine for anything, so I definitely would not.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Wed 15 Jan 2020 21:41

Headshot wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. I just watched the beginning of the video and it looked like a movie trailer to me. Will look for that TV series now ...

If you look at Tom Hanks face, he certainly didn't think that monologue was part of the system! :-) But, yeah! Of course, the speaker was invited by the ones responsible for this show. But it might just be due to his moderation making the event a bigger success and putting it more into spot light. I think many Hollywood people truly hate Ricky Gervais for being so blunt about their perverted little world and the self-deception ...

Audioholic

Post by Audioholic » Thu 16 Jan 2020 15:20

FriFlo wrote:
Wed 15 Jan 2020 21:41
Headshot wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. I just watched the beginning of the video and it looked like a movie trailer to me. Will look for that TV series now ...

If you look at Tom Hanks face, he certainly didn't think that monologue was part of the system! :-) But, yeah! Of course, the speaker was invited by the ones responsible for this show. But it might just be due to his moderation making the event a bigger success and putting it more into spot light. I think many Hollywood people truly hate Ricky Gervais for being so blunt about their perverted little world and the self-deception ...
Lol...Tom Hanks is an actor. If they cared about success they wouldn’t release 99% of the shit propaganda bullshit movies passed as “entertainment.”

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Sat 18 Jan 2020 11:04

Watched the black mirror show now - the first two episodes. I really like it, thanks for the hint!
Yes, Ricky Gervais is part of the system, but everybody is, including the person who wants to leave the system. Nonetheless, I feel it is important that there are people who remind us of the system and its madness. Calling these people hypocrites reminds me of parts the stupid right-wingers: the cynical ones. They will tell you that every attempt of changing our society is a lost cause and that Milton Friedman’s findings are like laws of nature. I strongly object that. And that is why I don’t think it is good to blame hypocracy on everyone who is critical about the system, as it leads necessarily to the system being without alternative.
There is a fine line between hypocracy in the name of a good cause (e.g. green washing) and honest attempts at making the world better. One has to watch not to become to cynical as to condemn all as the same ...

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Sat 18 Jan 2020 16:30

To call him hypocrite would certainly be too much, but I would call naive any person, including him, who thinks he's some kind of resistant revolutionary lol
FriFlo wrote:
Sat 18 Jan 2020 11:04
Yes, Ricky Gervais is part of the system, but everybody is, including the person who wants to leave the system.
Let's imagine another situation in which Ricky would have said exactly the same thing but not hidden behind humor, let's say on his Youtube channel.
It would be silly then to consider him part of the system simply because he used Youtube and buy his food at the super market.

In that case, yes it could be qualified as a heroic act because it will have serious consequences on his life.

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Sat 18 Jan 2020 23:13

Resistant revolutionary would be to much, yes! Well, he is a atheistic comedian, who makes fun of certain things I find ridiculous as well. That just ticks a few boxes of mine. But I could imagine disagreeing with him on a lot of topics, as well. Don’t you find that Oscar monologue funny and exceptionally daring? And good? Who would you like to see moderating the golden globes or Oscars? Mike Greedy? Captain Verta? LOL

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Sun 19 Jan 2020 00:15

FriFlo wrote:
Sat 18 Jan 2020 23:13
Who would you like to see moderating the golden globes or Oscars? Mike Greedy? Captain Verta? LOL
Captain Verta !
FriFlo wrote:
Sat 18 Jan 2020 23:13
Don’t you find that Oscar monologue funny and exceptionally daring ? And good?
Yes it was brilliant, but after my enjoyment I thought of the consequences : because of the tone and the context, his speech only has the effect of trivializing the serious issues it raises which leads more to acceptance than potential change.

So at the end, no matter how satisfying it was :
Audioholic wrote:
Wed 15 Jan 2020 17:22
he was 100% allowed to do this by the gatekeepers...as if to throw a bone to us common folk.

Arko

Post by Arko » Wed 22 Jan 2020 23:10

Ah that's exactly what I thought when I was watching his monologue. I actually thought of this exact same episode of black mirror. I was sort of cringing all the way through the speech. I always saw him as the buffoon of the court that made it to the "top". It was still funny to see some people in the audience rising their eyebrows.
French indie game developer

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Thu 23 Jan 2020 00:44

Arko wrote:
Wed 22 Jan 2020 23:10
I always saw him as the buffoon of the court
I agree :