Indiana Bones

Share your work and face your destiny
FriFlo

Indiana Bones

Post by FriFlo » Thu 26 Apr 2018 13:30

I don't think it totally sucks ...

This is probably one of the tracks I spent most time on ever to massage the midi and mix. It is limited, as it was originally written as a Berlin Brass Demo (with the beta version), hence, I could only use orchestral Tools libraries for it. I always love good criticism, so please don't shy away! :-) For the orchestration, I already received criticism from Conrad Pobe on a workshop I visited. I also received criticism from a good friend of Samy's called 'Mike Verta'. I don't agree with everything he said there, but you can check it out here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHKApZ6WDrM&feature=youtu.be&t=22m45s
Last edited by FriFlo on Thu 26 Apr 2018 14:03, edited 1 time in total.

Headshot
The Impartial

Re: I don't think it totally sucks ...

Post by Headshot » Thu 26 Apr 2018 13:56

I will listen to it in a while.

Please add an avatar !
Please use the insert button to post your videos !

Kyle Judkins

Post by Kyle Judkins » Thu 26 Apr 2018 14:26

uggggg I want BB so bad haha

heard this a while ago, my only criticism is that the strings/winds felt a tiny tiny bit boxy and didn't have the cut/clarity

but part of me doesn't care because dat brass

FriFlo

Post by FriFlo » Thu 26 Apr 2018 15:13

Kyle Judkins wrote: Thu 26 Apr 2018 14:26 uggggg I want BB so bad haha

heard this a while ago, my only criticism is that the strings/winds felt a tiny tiny bit boxy and didn't have the cut/clarity

but part of me doesn't care because dat brass
I agree. As I said, it was written as a Berlin Brass demo (which just didn't get used). That is why I thought it would be good to overemphasize that aspect. If I would re-do it, there would be more woodwinds and a bit more strings. The strings could use some layering, which I couldn't do due to the OT-only rule and the brass had to be forced a bit to be as bold as it is here. As we all know - ff is not available in the BB sustains, just in the shorts. Some people annoy me by overemphasizing that problem about BB, as it is no problem for actual writing in most cases (except for that hybrid/trailer thing of course). But there are of course some situations, where a brass patch from the competitors might be better.
Another aspect on the mix: I did more processing on it than I would actually like. I did it after listening to a lot of library demos realizing that most of them were mixed and mastered with crappy headphones and tablet speakers in mind. Not like classical music or JW soundtracks. That is why I thought this was good to sell it. That is why the piece is a bit to loud and compressed IMO.

Kyle Judkins

Re: Indiana Bones

Post by Kyle Judkins » Fri 27 Apr 2018 00:41

yeah I know BB is a little weaker on the top dynamic with longs - but I'm assuming marcatos can still put out a reasonable amount of heat.

it makes sense that someone could make a louder burst than sustain

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Fri 27 Apr 2018 20:12

That's nice, a lot of good things.

Here is my feedback focusing only on what I consider to be weaknesses :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7MA3zbSCJM

Kyle Judkins

Post by Kyle Judkins » Sat 28 Apr 2018 02:17

DOET

that FH was georgeous - what was? Sounded kinda like SM, but with one of the legato keyswitches?

Farkle

Post by Farkle » Sat 28 Apr 2018 04:51

Jesus, you're good, Headshot. Super tasteful additions to this piece. The piece has good bones in it already, FriFlo, nice work. And Headshot, great orchestration choices! Very emotional, very Hollywood!

Mike

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Sat 28 Apr 2018 07:47

Thanks Farkle for the kind words
Kyle Judkins wrote: Sat 28 Apr 2018 02:17 that FH was georgeous - what was? Sounded kinda like SM, but with one of the legato keyswitches?
Here it is : http://www.modernity-sucks.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=121

DarkestShadow

Post by DarkestShadow » Sat 28 Apr 2018 12:50

Oh, I love your additions! And have never seen anyone making videos like that as track reviews - very nice!

I also totally jump on the train regarding the ending where you call for clarity in arrangement and writing.
I also think the horns used sound rather odd - a bit like sustains with too much release rather than legatos...

I'd like to know what piano that was in the middle - I love this kind of roomy and soft sound. Immediately inspiring!
(inactive account)

Kyle Judkins

Post by Kyle Judkins » Sat 28 Apr 2018 15:18

nice!

yeah century solo does have good tone - I just didn't find the freebie patch to be very agile. So I've blocked it all from memory

Best Retards

Post by Best Retards » Sun 29 Apr 2018 09:46

THIS is why this forum is different ! Very cool ! and ...... DO IT !

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Sun 29 Apr 2018 11:50

Thanks retard

Kyle Judkins wrote: Sat 28 Apr 2018 15:18
yeah century solo does have good tone - I just didn't find the freebie patch to be very agile. So I've blocked it all from memory

it's indeed less flexible than Sample Modeling but really easy to use, and the tone is great.

DarkestShadow wrote: Sat 28 Apr 2018 12:50 I'd like to know what piano that was in the middle - I love this kind of roomy and soft sound. Immediately inspiring!
http://www.cinematicstudioseries.com/piano.html

I wanted to play the first measures of Jurassic Park theme to showcase the room mic but finally I did a short demo including also a bit of Century Brass Solo :

I didn't try to reproduce exactly the same sound, but this should be possible :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHalXjs0cDA

DarkestShadow

Post by DarkestShadow » Sun 29 Apr 2018 13:29

Oh, gorgeous!
I actually didn't have this piano on my mind because it sounded quite boring in the demos IMO. But that room mic isolated is great!
(inactive account)

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Sun 29 Apr 2018 13:45

Go to the Trash Compactor for more details (pm me to get the password)

http://www.modernity-sucks.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=124