RITE OF PEACE (Cello Concerto) - PHILLIPS / AZAN ZIELINSKI / PLEYEL

Share your work and face your destiny
Audioholic

Re: RITE OF PEACE (Cello Concerto) - PHILLIPS / AZAN ZIELINSKI / PLEYEL

Post by Audioholic » Sat 9 Jun 2018 21:14

Olivier Calmel wrote: Sat 9 Jun 2018 14:04
Audioholic wrote: Fri 8 Jun 2018 13:45
Olivier Calmel wrote: Fri 8 Jun 2018 11:38
Indeed I must confess that it was my orchestrators who did the job :) I could apply to Remote Control then now ? lol
In order of appearance I would like to thanks :
Dmitri Chostakovitch
Igor Stravinsky
Maurice Ravel
Alan Silvestri
my Dad
;)
So do you write on a piano with a sort of reduced score? (I'm thinking of the John Williams documentary from around 1980 where he explained that he was able to accurately flesh out his ideas on very few staves, and then he would have Herbert Spencer flesh it out for the entire orchestra).

About how long does it take you to write a piece of this complexity and length? I can't stop listening to it, I hear something new every time. Just wonderful.
Yes exactly. I write on the one hand everything that passes me by the head on a musical notebook, in the train, in the metro, anywhere (I remember one time in car, I wrote a vocal piece between green lights)
At the same time I experiment and improvise at the piano. I then develop a 'bear', a 'monster', I don't know the english term, that allows me to directly orchestrate.
Every thing is in this monster : rythms, melodic aspects, contrapuntical aspects, harmony, instrumentation, orchestration.
I very often need to have a very precise idea of ​​the piece from beginning to end before starting to orchestrate it.
'Rite Of Peace' was written in 3 months, except for the pace that took me another month!
Very cool, you obviously work very hard at this. Thanks for sharing your process. I sort of do the same thing, but I have to hum or sing the notes (since I'm awful at notation) into my phone, usually to the detriment of those around me, lol.

Audioholic

Post by Audioholic » Sat 9 Jun 2018 21:26

Headshot wrote: Sat 9 Jun 2018 14:47
Audioholic wrote: Fri 8 Jun 2018 07:34 The only issue I have with Olivier posting his amazing music here is that...now I feel too much a coward to post my own pathetic attempts at writing for orchestra.
Don't be afraid, nobody will laugh and maybe you'll get some good advice to improve.

(For clarity's sake : I'm mocking HZ here because of what happened, because he is considered as Beethoven reincarnated and because of the way he presents himself, not because of his limited skills.
I'm just fed up with this "false god" and his blind devotees.)
Oh I bet I could elicit a chuckle or two haha. And I totally get the HZ thing. This appears to be a relatively kind and supportive group of people, despite what people on other forums try say about the members here...

Mainly, I don't want any of you people stealing my amazing ideas.... because I'm pretty much the next Mozart, and I can write music in any style simply because I may have heard an example of it once. I can orchestrate the shit out of things and usually whats hard for most people comes easiest to me. Also, I'm 100% joking XD.

I'll probably set up a sound cloud account this week once I work up the courage to actually subject you all to my stuff, lol.

Headshot
The Impartial

Post by Headshot » Sun 10 Jun 2018 22:40

Audioholic wrote: Sat 9 Jun 2018 21:26 I'll probably set up a sound cloud account this week once I work up the courage to actually subject you all to my stuff, lol.